Welcome Text

Welcome! Books, movies, music, original stories, interviews, writing, libraries, literacy, humor –all with the YA reader in mind, are just a few of the topics you’ll find here. New to the blog? Say hi! Like it? Follow away! Thanks for visiting.

Friday, November 4, 2011

A Jedi's Lament...part I

I've been meaning to get this off my chest for....well, a long time.

There I was, sitting in the movie theater with my family, tears rolling down my cheeks as his body burned on the funeral pyre. The greatest villain of my generation had been struck down and destroyed by his own son. For a five-year-old, that was quite a bit to digest.

We left the theater and I realized, my world had ended. Since I was old enough to understand what I was seeing, George Lucas' Star Wars series had consumed my every thought. Now that world I had escaped to so often as a child was gone.

And yet, as time passed, a whispering began. It ebbed and flowed as time passed. Articles in the paper here, a spot on the local news there yet nothing firm. No release date and most importantly, no confirmation from the man himself that another film was to be released.

I passed the time making stop-motion films with my heavily used Star Wars toys




 writing scripts for sequels and even filming shorts with my parent's VHS recorder. Then the Phantom Menace trailer hit theaters across the US on Friday 12th March 1999 (yes I was already an adult...but not by much).

I was giddy as a schoolgirl...until I saw the trailer.





I immediately had my doubts.  What was this long eared thing with the most annoying accent imaginable?  Who was this kid that couldn't act himself out of a cardboard box? On the plus side was the lineup of A list actors.  Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson!  How could you go wrong with that lineup?

Two lines of text I should have known could only end in tragedy: Writer: George Lucas, Director: George Lucas

If only I knew then what I know now...sigh.

Next time...the reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment