Welcome Text

Welcome! Books, movies, music, original stories, interviews, writing, libraries, literacy, humor –all with the YA reader in mind, are just a few of the topics you’ll find here. New to the blog? Say hi! Like it? Follow away! Thanks for visiting.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Panacea -Chapter 4 (Formerly: Enhancing and destroying memories through nanotechnology...really.)

By J.R. Wagner

Photo from TelicThoughts.com

 If you haven't read parts one, two and three, I highly recommend it. Links below.



Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3


 So there I was playing  chauffeur to this insanely hot high school girl who happened to be the daughter of the man who held one of the worlds greatest powers in his own two hands and all I could think as we were pulling out of the school parking lot was, she's illegal, she's illegal, she's illegal.

We had been together all of thirty seconds and I'd managed to delude myself into believing that not only would this girl find me attractive but, in short order, I would be placed in a situation where I would have to consider the pros and cons of risking a statutory rape charge. Like I said, deluded.

"So...Roland.  Interesting name," she said.

"It is, actually.  My parent's named me after..."

"I need to stop home before we go to my Dad's office, all right?" 

It wasn't a question (even though there is a question mark at the end of the sentence). 

"Your father was very explicit with his instructions. No stops. No detours."

"Well, Roland," she said Roland in that way you say a stupid name when you're a kid.  You know, drag it out -enunciate each syllable. Rol-and. "I doubt Daddy anticipated I'd be beginning my period today so if you don't stop, we are going to have a major problem. Understand?"

I nodded my head like a moron. Why do girls/women always play the period card when they aren't getting what they want.  I'll tack that one up on my board -reason number 467 why women rule the world.

My dad told me once (yeah, good ole Dad).
 Son, I'm going to tell you something and you best remember it for the rest of your life.  
He looked down the hall to make sure my mother was out of earshot.  
Women rule the world.  Don't question it, don't try to understand it, just accept it and keep it in the back of your mind with every action you take and you'll be okay.

Naturally I created a cork board titled. 'Why Women Rule the World' and I'd add things to it as I discovered them. Yes, I'm up to number 467.

I looked over at...damn, I never got her name. 

"I never got your name," I said.

"Tessa," she said not looking up as she furiously typed something into her phone.

"Tessa," I repeated.

"Is there a problem, Rol-and?" she asked, finally looking up at me.

If she wasn't so beautiful, I would have been upset but reason number twelve totally precluded that possibility.  Her pissy attitude seemed to melt off her face and she actually smiled at me causing something to stir inside (reason number one) and I knew we were stopping at her house.

***

After she punched in the code to open the gates (yes, there is a giant black gate at the end of her cobbled driveway) I slowly drove up what had to be a three-quarter mile drive to the front of the house. 

The house, guest house and pool house (seriously -check out the photo. Don't ask where I got it, all will be clear...eventually -if I survive) were surrounded by a stone retaining wall making the giant mansion even more imposing.


I pulled as close as I could to the front door. The driveway circled a giant fountain with topless mermaid sculptures spraying water out of their mouths and I was half expecting someone to valet my car when I came to a stop.  I killed the engine and looked at her.  She looked at me with an impatient expression.

"Right. Sorry," I said, opening my door and sliding out.  She thinks I'm an idiot.  

She slid out and moved toward the main entrance fumbling for something in her pocket. 

"Come on, Rol-and. I'll get you something to eat," she said.

Too shocked to reply, I shut the car door and followed like an obedient puppy.  This was going to be awesome.

Except, it wasn't.

The story continues...

Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7 
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
--------------------------------------------------------

To purchase Exiled, bid on the movie rights, hire me as a writer for the next Blade Runner film, the next Star Wars film, to bid on the rights to this story, offer me a job writing for a high school newspaper...for videos, fan art, contests and more, visit my website!




In bookstores now


No comments:

Post a Comment