Welcome Text

Welcome! Books, movies, music, original stories, interviews, writing, libraries, literacy, humor –all with the YA reader in mind, are just a few of the topics you’ll find here. New to the blog? Say hi! Like it? Follow away! Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Panacea -chapter 7

By J.R. Wagner


As promised, I have come up with a title for my Nanotechnology story.  Panacea.

I strongly recommend reading chapters 1-6 before continuing.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

I was walking as quickly as  I could (but not so quick as to attract attention) along the sidewalk back toward the building.  Toward the building where Tessa's father's lab was located. Where she had run off, shotgun in hand in an attempt to rescue him from whoever it was that so desperately wanted his memory-altering nanotechnology discovery.

I could have walked away.  I should have walked away. I've no idea why I didn't decide to do just that -I mean, Wendy's was right down the block and I'm pretty sure I had enough for a Dave's Hot 'N Juicy 3/4lb Triple, large fries and a Coke four times the size of my bladder.

As I entered the courtyard outside the main entrance folks were still chowing down on their lunches or chatting it up.  My stomach growled when I spotted what looked like a Tupperware container full of home made baked ziti yet I willed myself to turn and step through the revolving door.

The lobby was your typical corporate office building lobby.  Marble tile floors, open two-story design, a reception desk with an insanely hot blonde woman talking to someone on her headset.  Several people walked past the desk and through one of a dozen turnstyles while waving their FOB keys at the sensor mounted on the front of the turnstyle.  A little green light would flash and they would pass through.

Yes, kind of like this -minus the Gamorrean guard



Problem number one; getting past the desk and to the elevators (no way I was taking the stairs). I strolled up to the desk exuding sexiness and leaned casually on the counter.

"Can I help you?" the blonde asked.

"Yes," I said, giving my best Brad Pitt smile.

"Are you okay? Do you need to use the bathroom or something?"

Crap. I relaxed my face and repositioned myself against the counter.  This time, I decided to go for the authoritarian approach.  I stood as straight as possible and looked down my nose at the receptionist.

"I'm here to see Dr. Sorin," I said.

She quickly typed into her keyboard, looked at the screen for a moment and then lifted her head.

"I'm sorry, Dr. Sorin is not available today."

"I have an appointment," I said, confidence wavering.

"The Dr. marked his calendar as do not disturb all day.  Perhaps you have the wrong appointment time?"

Perhaps?  Who says that? Seriously.

"No. I am certain the appointment is for today. Perhaps you could get him on the phone for me. It was a very important appointment and I've traveled several hours to be here."

She looked at me through her long, perfect eyelashes for a moment (probably thinking I was a bad liar) before punching a number on her keypad.  We waited in silence for about a minute. She played with her fingernails and I tried as hard as I could not to look at her cleavage. Finally, she tapped a key and looked up at me.

"His receptionist isn't picking up.  Strange," she said.

"Is that out of the ordinary?" I asked.

"Yes, they're supposed to always have someone to take calls."

Not good.

"Do you have his direct office line?"

I'm pretty sure she was about to tell me to piss off when a loud boom followed by a building wide power failure sent everyone into a panic.  The emergency lighting kicked on for a few seconds then flickered off leaving only daylight to illuminate the lobby.

Two more boom's sent everyone in the lobby running for the door. In the distance, I could hear a fire engine.  That was fast.  I contemplated joining the hordes and bolting for the door but decided I needed to at least make sure Tessa was okay.

The story continues...

Chapter 8
Chapter 9
-----------------------------------
To purchase Exiled, bid on the movie rights, hire me as a writer for the next Blade Runner film, the next Star Wars film...for updates on the soon-to-be-released novella, book 2 updates, for videos, fan art, contests and more, visit my website!




In bookstores now



No comments:

Post a Comment