Welcome Text

Welcome! Books, movies, music, original stories, interviews, writing, libraries, literacy, humor –all with the YA reader in mind, are just a few of the topics you’ll find here. New to the blog? Say hi! Like it? Follow away! Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Creating a following BEFORE your novel is published? part IV

Following up on part III...the ad I placed on facebook is still running.  According to the stats I've gotten 19 clicks and 13 connections meaning out of the 19 who actually clicked on the ad, 13 ended up liking my page.


So, is this method effective?  I'd say so.  Especially considering I've spent a hair under $4.00 for the ad so far.  But, I don't plan on using facebook ads alone to generate a following and neither should you.  I also can't afford to run the ad until I reach the number I'm shooting for (1000).  So, what's left?

Tons of stuff, actually.  Have you considered making a video trailer for your novel?  Increase your exposure by drawing youtube viewers to your page! I went as far as making a 'teaser' trailer with text and some basic effects and am working on a full-length trailer with actors (volunteers of course).  That being said, I have an affinity for filmmaking and understand that not every writer does but if you're writing fiction, you have creativity and imagination.



This is what I came up with.  Simple text with cool sound and effects (I think anyway).  If effective, your trailer should spark the interest of potential readers enough to want to follow your page.  HD video cameras are insanely cheap right now and it is amazing what one can do with a simple editing program.  If you have the wherewithal , I highly suggest giving it a shot.

Create a storyboard. What is a storyboard, you ask?  Basically a series of images you'd like to see in your trailer.  I draw like a four-year-old. I'm okay with that.  The purpose isn't to be pretty, it is simply to give you a solid projection of how you want your trailer to look. Below I'll paste a video on storyboarding if you're interested.  You can get blank templates for storyboarding here.  When you go to shoot your trailer, the storyboard will direct the angles of the shots and help make the entire process much smoother.   When you have your volunteer actors all gathered around you waiting to do something, winging it generally produces bad film. If you know what angles you want, where you want the actors to be in relation to the camera etc. BEFORE you're on location with everyone, things go much smoother.  Trust me. Okay, I'm digressing.

Video trailers are great tools to get people interested in your novel (potential publishers like them as well).  When you're done, stroll on over to your potential agent or publisher's page and post a link to your trailer.  Why not?

Here is the storyboarding video.  I'll be the first to admit it is a bit on the slow side...but it helps.



Next time we will talk about getting your Author Page exposure within facebook with your target readers for FREE!

Just a reminder, I am implementing this for myself as I go, sometimes just before I write about it.  If something doesn't work or you have suggestions that I haven't mentioned, feel free to comment.

Until next time, visit me, tell your friends to tell their friend's friends and I'll be sure to share the love.

Oh, and for a laugh, here is a funny video I made.  I think all Star Wars fans need to get at least one of these out of their systems before they die.



RIP Steve Jobs

No comments:

Post a Comment