Welcome Text

Welcome! Books, movies, music, original stories, interviews, writing, libraries, literacy, humor –all with the YA reader in mind, are just a few of the topics you’ll find here. New to the blog? Say hi! Like it? Follow away! Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Scare me, I dare you! Winning entry.

Congratulations to our winner, Sharay Bridges.

The winning entry begins now... 


I walked into the hallway to see his room 246, Dr.Castreo. He greeted me at the door with a welcoming smile. “Are you my four o’clock?” I shook his hand.

“Yes, that’s me. I’m Jennie.”

“Nice to meet you, I am Dr.Castreo, come on in.”

 I scampered into his office like a scared little kid; my head was towards the floor. He put his arm on my shoulder as he told me to lie down on a small suede bed by a wave of his hand. I sat down and tried to calm myself, but I could swear my heart was racing a mile a minute.

“What has brought you to me today?” He questioned.
“My mother,” I sighed. “I have vivid nightmares almost every night. I don’t get rested and my grades are suffering horribly. I’m terrified to go to bed because of the darkness that hides within me.”

He showed no emotion, but crossed one leg over another as he replied “Would you like to tell me some more about these dreams?” I couldn’t look him in the eyes for the fact I thought he might think I’m crazy, finally I nodded. No. He leaned forward to look me face to face. “Jennie look at me.” He demanded. I glanced up at him till our eyes met, a river flew from my eyes and I wept. “You are safe here and you can talk to me,” he spoke open-heartily.

My hands began to tremble, and I lost my breath as I began to speak. “I—I dream of this girl, she comes to me every night. She kills the people I love and then she just smiles—that awful smile. She sits in the corner of the rooms. Any room. Everywhere I go she’s always there. It’s like I can’t escape her.”

Still looking me dead in the eyes he spoke “And this girl, what does she look like?”

“Dark stringy hair, deep brown eyes, and a mouth that smells worse than a rotting corpse, teeth are missing and she always smiles.”

 He leaned in even closer than he was before and examined me. “Go on with your dreams, tell me exactly what she does.”

“Well, she doesn’t like me talking about her, every time I do she crawls down the wall or a step. She gets closer to me, and if I walk up to her she just stares at me with, with that vicious smile.”

“Does she speak?” He asked.

“She whispers a song every time she kills someone, then it’s like a maze my head gets all jumbled up and I have to try and find who died, and while I’m searching she just sings. There goes one, there goes two, how many more before I get you?”

He tilted his head to the left and looked at me for a moment before he asked me. “Does she have a name?” then he chuckled a devious chuckle. I put my head to the floor as my heart started pounding.

He silently stood up walked over and grabbed something off of this desk, and said “Jennie the girl you’re describing sounds a lot like… You.” As he held a mirror up to my face I scream in horror at her reflection. For once when I was awake, I saw the demon that lived within my nightmares

 “HOW DARE YOU! HOW DARE YOU SHOW ME HER! YOU’RE WORKING WITH HER AREN’T YOU! AREN’T YOU!” I screamed. I was trembling with chills all down my body as I curled up in a ball and began to weep. He just looked startled by my reaction. “Jennie, I’m trying to help. You need it. Your mother, father, and little sister are dead. Dead because of you! Now look at your reflection. There is no monster in your dreams you are hiding in a false reality.”

Then I looked him in the eyes and began to sing “There goes one, there goes two, how many more before I get you?”
-end-

view the contest parameters HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment