Welcome Text

Welcome! Books, movies, music, original stories, interviews, writing, libraries, literacy, humor –all with the YA reader in mind, are just a few of the topics you’ll find here. New to the blog? Say hi! Like it? Follow away! Thanks for visiting.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Star Wars 7; stop the nonsense

by J.R. Wagner

I thought I was done.

I thought my whining and complaining and frustration had finally reached an ending point.

I thought the prequels marked the end of a three movie abomination.

I was wrong...mabye.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a Star Wars fanatic (the originals, not the three most recent disasters associated with the originals *cough* prequels).

Also for those of you who don't know, Disney has purchased Lucasfilm for some obscene amount of money (something like 4.3 Billion) and almost synchronously announced the release of a new film in 2015.

I knew I would have to address it at some point (and have been thinking about it ever since the Disney purchase was publicized) I just didn't think it would be so soon.

Today I read several articles that, if seen to fruition would spell the end of the franchise (although, after the prequels, I'm not sure it could get worse).

Here they are:

Harrison Ford "open" to reprising Han Solo in new Star Wars film

 No! No Harrison Ford! Sorry, dude, but you just don't belong.

'Star Wars' Episode 7 Sparks Interest from Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Will They Return to the Series? 

 Seriously?  Of course Hamill and Fisher are interested. What else are they doing? No. No. No!!!


What? I love Damon Lindelof's stuff but, with all due respect, I think he's got this one dead wrong. In the article he says:


As far as casting, my feeling is that they have to bring back the original actors. How can you express that these movies take place after the original trilogy unless some of those characters are in it?


What? Really? Because introducing C3P0 and R2D2 into the prequels wasn't irritating enough? Now we should take actors who, for the most part (although it could have been the directing...maybe) weren't great to begin with, add 30 years and throw them back into the same ridiculous costumes? No, Damon, No! This isn't Star Trek. Star Wars didn't originate from a TV series with limitless possibilities to entice generations of eager fans.


My advice; if you really want to 're-load' Star Wars you need to start fresh. None of the same characters, peripheral mention of the goings on in the original films and NO mention of the prequels simply out of spite (just kidding...sorta). The timeline should be at minimum one generation after Jedi, maybe two.

Fresh start. Fresh characters. Same world, different conflict- it is high time to move past the whole Jedi versus Sith thing and get to something interesting!






More to come!








To purchase Exiled, bid on the movie rights, hire me as a writer for the next Blade Runner film, the next Star Wars film...for videos, fan art, contests and more, visit my website!




In bookstores now


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment