Welcome Text

Welcome! Books, movies, music, original stories, interviews, writing, libraries, literacy, humor –all with the YA reader in mind, are just a few of the topics you’ll find here. New to the blog? Say hi! Like it? Follow away! Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

With the apocalypse looming...

by J.R. Wagner


 I had another dream about the end of the world the other night. I thought it would be ironic to share it today since, according to the Mayans, the end of the world is coming tomorrow.  Unlike my last apocalyptic dream, which included a nuclear holocaust, this dream was all about water. Lots of water.

-thank you very much, Al Gore!

Al Gore, Mr. Global Warming












Tower Crane
 I was standing on the top part of a tower crane, the rest of which extended down into the deep blue abyss, up to my knees in water.  There was water everywhere so I'm assuming there was a major flood of some sort.  Anyway, my family was there and I was attempting to rescue them when the sharks came (the water wasn't enough, there had to be sharks).  I remember dipping my head into the water and looking at the shark and saying, "It's okay, it isn't a great white shark!" (because there aren't other man-eating sharks in the ocean)





Shark!


Not long after flailing around in the water as the sharks continued to circle us, I woke up.

I went on my run later that morning and about two miles in, about six Chinook-looking helicopters flew overhead.  I became slightly paranoid and my pace quickened.



Never a good sign
As I continued something else out of the ordinary happened. An unusual sound pierced the otherwise typically quiet area.  Fire engine sirens -lots of them.  I understand that the odds of seeing military helicopters in flight where I live aren't great because it is a rather quiet area.  Now, add in the blaring of several fire engine sirens and I became even more paranoid.

Here is the strange part (as if this all isn't strange) the siren's didn't stop.  Usually, when I do hear them at all, they blare for a minute or two and are gone.  This day, they continued for the duration of my run -a good 45 minutes. When I got home, I was expecting to find my house a smoldering pile of rubble surrounded by zombies but fortunately, this wasn't the case.





It turns out I managed to discover what was up with the fire engine nonsense. 

yep, blame it on the big guy

As soon as I heard Santa was making the rounds I recalled hearing the same thing the same time last year and not knowing what the heck was going on then also.

Do I dream of world ending apocalyptic events much? I suppose you could say that. As long as I can remember I've had dreams similar to this one -more often than not, they involve a giant wave of water rushing toward me rather than the post-wave mayhem.

Here is an interesting article on the interpretation of the giant wave dream if you're curious.

If you'd like to read about my nuclear war dream, you can find it HERE

And for those of you who think I'm totally insane, check out the article from National Geographic below.

Dreams make you smarter, more creative, studies suggest

Anyway, best of luck tomorrow.  Hopefully the Mayan calendar maker just got a nasty case of Montezuma's revenge and couldn't finish chiseling.  If not, I'll be held up with my dog and my family (if they're fast enough) inside a supermarket. If you need to get in touch ( I wouldn't recommend trying to walk in without an invitation) send an owl.



To purchase Exiled, bid on the movie rights, hire me as a writer for the next Blade Runner film, the next Star Wars film...for videos, fan art, contests and more, visit my website!




In bookstores now



No comments:

Post a Comment